Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A good story

     I've mentioned before that I am a bit of a movie buff.  But I've been off my game lately (don't tell the industry, but there hasn't been much out there that I've wanted to see).  However, this past Sunday afternoon I went to see THE WAY by Emilio Esteves and starring his dad, Martin Sheen.  It was a beautiful and moving story of journey and pilgrimage. 

     The story introduces us to a California eye doctor, Tom, who is a Christmas/Easter Catholic and his relationship with his son, who is a searcher - a wanderer.  The doc gets a call that his son, Daniel, was killed in a freak accident in France on a tour through Europe.  He then procedes to retrieve the body.  He discovers that Daniel had embarked upon a journey / pilgrimage on the "camino de Santiago", the ancient pilgrimage route to the shrine of Saint James in Santiago del Compenstella.  This route from France through Spain is 450 miles, and has been travelled for over 1,000 years by pilgrims of all faiths.

      Discovering something about his son that he had not realized - a spiritual side and a quest - he decides to make the journey himself, carrying the cremated remains of Daniel so that Daniel could complete the journey.

     It is the story of rediscovered spiritual direction in a life, the story of encounters and friendships made along the way, the story of self understanding.  The Spanish countryside, the religious sites, the motivations of the "pilgrims", the power of completion are wonderful to behold.  It probably will not be a commercial success, but I found it a good story, well done and inspiring.  I believe that I heard Martin Sheen say that it is in tribute to his grandfather, who made that journey years ago.
For what it is worth, I would offer my recommendation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Yesterday I saw "THE THREE MUSKETEERS" in 2-D.  I usually like these swashbucklers, and I love the story of the three musketeers, but this one left me flat.  It was a great setting for the special effects (maybe the 3-D version would have been better), but it did not capture my interest or desire to see it again [and I am a "repeater"].  Again, for what it is worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment