Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A friend and a mentor

     In the Spring semester of 1973, as a Deacon, I was assigned as part of the pastoral internship program of our seminary, to the Newman Center (now the Saint Thomas More University Parish) at IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania) in Indiana, PA.  The Newman Center serves Catholic students and university affiliated families at IUP.  The pastor that I was assigned to was Father Ray Spatti, and there was also an Assistant Pastor - Father Ernest Kish.

     It was a challenging and yet wonderful experience in those few short months prior to ordination.  I learned much (some of which I retained and put into practice - and some I wish I would have developed more).  Ray was a good priest whose talent lay in organization and programming.  He kept the wide ranging programs and experiences of the Center on track, and the special seasonal or liturgical experiences were often called "Spatti extravaganzas", and they were great.  Ernie was the quiet, prayerful, friendly presence among the students.  He was not an office person, but preferred to be where the students were.  Many spoke of the spiritual effect that he had on their lives.

     I have a memory of my exit interview with my supervisor, Father Spatti, when he asked me the question that should not be asked: "Who did you relate to and learn from most in this experience?"  I told him that I appreciated his skills and his priesthood, but that I related most with Ernie in his quiet, prayerful approach.  He did not like that answer.  Sorry.

      I mention this now because today marks the anniversary of Father Ernest P. Kish's death - November 16, 1975.  Ernie was killed in a car crash that was the other drivers fault.  He had by this time been pastor of Saint Ambrose Church in Avonmore, PA, and was involved in the National Priests Council.  At his funeral, I remember, the little church was jammed to overflowing with parishioners and people whose lives he touched, as well as our priests and priests from many parts of the country that admired Ernie.   Thirty-six years has gone since we lost this good shepherd.  He was for me a friend and mentor, and I remember him with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment