Wednesday, September 13, 2017

A first for me

        Last evening (Tuesday, September 12th) I took a step into a radio ministry that exists in the diocese and the Western Pennsylvania area.  I shared a live program of "lectio divina" in the 8 to 9 pm time slot on WAOB-FM, locally 106.7 FM on the dial.  WAOB is "We Are One Body", a Catholic radio station that broadcasts out of their studio in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. 

     WAOB began in March of 2010 with the approval of the bishop of the Diocese of Greensburg.  They produce catechetical and contemplative programing, presenting the life of the Church in a way that makes the Mystical Body of Christ more apparent.   There are varied forms of prayer, teachings, discussions, Scripture studies and prayer services and liturgies.  You can find more info on WAOB at www.waob.org.

     Father Boniface Hicks, a monk of Saint Vincent Archabbey, and his great staff at WAOB, encouraged and welcomed me to the broadcast family, and made last evening's program go very smoothly.  I was given four Scripture passages (each pre-recorded by another priest) and asked to share a short reflection upon three or four passages taken from each of those Scriptures, leading to a quiet moment of silence for reflection by the listener. All of this was done in quiet prayer, and with the enhancement of recordings of chant and song.  I had never shared this form of prayer before, and definitely never in the public forum, and I found it a wonderful experience of ministry.  I came away from the studio truly blessed.

    Father Boniface expressed a desire for further involvement on my part.  I will pray over that possibility, and look forward to ways of extending my ministry in this format.  And I thank Father Boniface and the staff of the radio station for their commitment and ministry.

     Years ago, and for nearly fifteen years, I had a small radio program entitled "That You May Believe" on WMBS in Uniontown.  It consisted of a short, ten minute reflection on the weekly Scripture.  I did the recordings at home (on cassette tapes - remember them?) and sent them in each week.  It was much nicer being in the studio at WAOB.  It was during that previous radio ministry that a very good friend of mine stated that I definitely "had the face for radio!"  He was, and still is, a very good friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment