Tuesday, May 4, 2021

THE VINE AND THE BRANCHES

     This is my reflection on WAOB for the gospel of this past Sunday, the 5th Sunday of Easter.

     Our image of Christ in this 15th chapter of Saint John's gospel is found in this saying of Jesus: "I am the vine, you are the branches.  He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

     This Spring a tree outside our residence was filled with blossoms and was truly magnificent.  One of our men cut a few branches to place in his room.  They were beautiful and their fragrance filled the room.  But he told me that it wasn't long before the smell faded and the pedals began to fall off.  He eventually found that the branches had died and had to be discarded.

     I have over the years had an indoor plant called a philodendron.  I have taken cuttings and placed them in water, where they usually began to develop roots.  When enough roots were present, though, the plant required planting in soil in order to grow.  Before that, it was not strong and unlikely to survive.

    "Apart from me", Jesus says, "you can do nothing."  We weaken, we wither, we die.

     Jesus tells us in John 15 that "I am the vine and my Father is the vine dresser.  Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit he prunes, that it bear more fruit."

     Years ago I visited the vineyards of Napa Valley in California, noted for the excellent wines that come from those vineyards.  Here there are vines that are very old, going back generations, that produce grapes in their various flavors.  These vines are not large, in fact it is surprising how small and compact they are.

     This is because the vine growers do as Jesus says the Father does.  They cut away the dead or dying branches, even those that seem strong but bear no fruit.  And they cut back even the productive branches in order to bring forth a greater, fresher yield.  This takes work, but the results are worth it.

     Even though united to Christ, the vine that gives us life, there is the need for pruning in order to bear more fruit.  Pruning can be good.

     We hear in John 15: "You are already made clean [the old cut away and the new pruned] by the word which I have spoken to you.  Abide in me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me."

     We pride ourselves in our freedom and individuality.  We are taught to be self-sufficient and stand on our own.  We long to be first among others and consider being like everyone else as being less than desirous.

     Yet we need each other .. and most especially we need our union with Christ and his Church ... in order to find our real potential and to truly bear fruit.

     We cannot be "independent agents" who stand alone.  We glorify the Father by our unity with his Son and his body and bearing much fruit in love and joy.  Be a great branch!  Bear tremendous fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment