Thursday, October 28, 2021

Musings

      It was 35 years ago today, the feast of Saints Simon and Jude, that I arrived at my second assignment as a pastor at All Saints Church in Masontown and the mission church of Saint Francis de Sales in McClellandtown.  I remember the date because our Principal, Sister Mildred Minosky would always remind me that I arrived on the feast of Saint Jude, who is the patron of "hopeless cases".  We never clarified "who" the "hopeless case" was.

     I remember the day well, for Sister Mildred arranged a "smooth" transition between Father Andrew Charnoki, my predecessor, and myself.  I was coming from Connellsville, and she coordinated our time of departure/arrival to be an easy moment for the school students to say farewell to one pastor and welcome to the new pastor.

     I arrived at the scheduled time and was met up the street by one of the teachers, asking me to pull over and wait for the upcoming farewell - for Father Charnoki decided on another cup of coffee before departing.  Finally all went as planned.

     After he pulled out to the waves of the children, I pulled up to their greetings, the younger priest (at that time) replacing the older priest (who had been there for 23 years).  It was to be a time of changing expectations.

     I spent five great years in that small town and those two beautiful parishes and a host of wonderful people (both parishioners and townsfolk) who blessed my priesthood and life.

     Saint Francis de Sales closed a few years later.  All Saints was merged with at least five others parishes a few years ago to form the Saint Francis of Assisi Parish - with the All Saints Church and Saint Thomas Church in Footdale serving as the worship centers.  Many memories and many friendship grew out of those five brief years.  I pray for my friends often.

No comments:

Post a Comment