Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A new beginning

     I find it remarkable that my days go by so quickly and are so filled with activities that demand my attention, especially in retirement, but so it is.  Last week in particular saw much time spent in preparation for preaching and/or teaching.  At the Neumann House retirement residence, the priests take a week at a time celebrating the Eucharist in our small chapel, and last week was my turn.  Since retiring I have been listening rather than preaching, but it as god to get back into the swing of things.  In addition, this past Saturday and Sunday I filled in at Saint Paul Church for one of the priests who was away.  All this took much prep time, but brought to mind one of the things that I miss most about not being in active ministry - celebrating with a community, preaching and being a minister of the Lord's love.  I also had a great experience in the confessional on Saturday at Saint Paul parish and rejoiced in the merciful grace of God.  On Sunday evening I shared in my sixth live radio program of "lectio-divina" on WAOB-FM (106.7 FM) the local Catholic radio station.  I am enjoying this new aspect of ministry.

+++++++++++++++++

    Today the Church celebrates the memorial of Saint Ignatius of Antioch, a early bishop and martyr of the Church.  He succeeded Saint Peter as bishop of Antioch and was put to death by being thrown to wild beasts during the persecution of the Emperor Trajan I the year 107.  On his journey to Rome and his death, he wrote seven letters to the various churches.

     One was to the Church at Rome itself.  He tells them that he is God's wheat and he shall be ground by the teeth of wild animals.  He said that he was ready for death, because he knew where his treasure lay.  In his letter he says: "No earthly pleasures, no kingdoms of this world can benefit me in any way.  I prefer death in Christ Jesus to power over the farthest limits of the earth.  He who died in place of us is the one object of my quest.  He who rose for our sakes is my one desire.  The time for my birth is close at hand."

     The conviction of people of faith and the courage of the martyrs has always given me reason to pause.  We have been so blessed, and take so much for granite, that a little adversity at times is so challenging.  And yet we have never faced death as did Ignatius and those others who were given little option: be faithful and die or deny and live.  The courage that it takes to embrace and express the words above in bold print can only be spoken in the grace of the Spirit of God. Thank God for the witness of the martyrs and the courage of Ignatius.  The prayer for the day says it all:
"All-powerful and ever-living God, you ennoble your Church with the heroic witness of all who give their lives for Christ.  Grant that the victory of Saint Ignatius of Antioch may bring us your constant help as it brought him eternal glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment