Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Break in the Clouds

     This past weekend I was called upon to "help out" at the Church of Saint Paul in Greensburg.  I celebrated the Sacrament of Reconciliation on Saturday afternoon and was moved in the frailty of the human condition by the humble trust that people express in the mercy of God that comes through that sacrament.  As the guy behind the curtain or in the opposite chair I am always keenly aware of my own frailty and sinfulness and the grace of the Sacrament that uses an unworthy vessel to bring the forgiveness of the Lord and of his Church to the repentant sinner.  As usual, I was truly graced this past Saturday afternoon.
     Later in the afternoon I led the people in prayer as we celebrated the Eucharist.  In my homily I spoke of the storm clouds surrounding the Church, especially in the last week and a half following the PA Grand Jury Report publication.  I shared that this was probably the darkest hour of my priesthood and some of the most challenging days in the life of the Church in my lifetime.  The Scriptures reminded us of the inspired words of Peter when Jesus asked the Twelve if they, like so many other followers who could not face the hard times, would depart from him.  Peter said: "Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life."  And in the Hebrew Scriptures of the day, the words of the leaders of the people of God: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."   The evil one, like a roaring lion, goes about seeking someone to devourer.  He is having a field day with the Church in her sinfulness and in the push on the part of some to bring her down.  But we are built upon the Rock of Peter and we have been established by Christ.
     I had a dozen or so people make a point of thanking me for encouraging words in the midst of this conflict.  Our Bishop shared a homily the previous Sunday which began the process of healing and strengthening so needed in the Church of our day.

     But on Sunday morning at the 9:00am Mass, I had the joy of celebrating a baptism with the community.  When the family came into Church with their child, grandma reminded me that many years ago in this same church I had baptized the baby's mom, Allison.  She and her husband, along with a large number of family and friends, joined with me and the three to four hundred in attendance in welcoming Elliot Edward Lutz as a Child of God into the Church community.   The community continues to gather as family to celebrate the Sacred Mysteries and to welcome a new member of a new generation who will continue the living out of the Faith, even in a flawed Church.  For me, as I returned home that morning, it was like a break in the storm clouds and a glimpse of hope that we continue our mission of proclaiming Jesus Christ as Lord.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment