Wednesday, June 3, 2020

The Strength of the Holy Spirit

     This past Saturday, May 30th marked the celebration of Memorial Day.  The nation celebrated the occasion on the previous Monday as we have for many years, in order to have a long holiday weekend.  But Memorial Day, or as it was once called, "Decoration Day", was celebrated on May 30th for most of my life.  The day originated following the Civil War and was a day to honor those who have died in battle by "decorating" their graves and honoring their service and sacrifice.  It is a day of parades and flags.

     I always thought, as a child, that the parades and flags were in my honor, since this is the "memorable" day that I was born into this world back in 1947.  So Saturday was my birthday, along with another of our priests here at Neumann House.  It was a good birthday.  I pointed out that there are two significant numbers for me this year: I was born in '47 and this is my 47th anniversary of ordination … and I was ordained in '73 and this year I celebrate my 73rd birthday.

     The day was capped off with a special "Extended Pentecost Vigil Liturgy" for our small group with Mass at 7:00pm in the Saint Joseph Chapel on the campus of Christ Our Shepherd Center where I live.  The "extended Vigil" is an optional Pentecost vigil celebration similar to the Easter Vigil with added Scripture readings and sung responses.  Most of the men had never experienced this in the parishes, but I have been doing so since the publication of the New Roman Missal created the liturgy.  We were blessed with an accompanist and cantor, and the liturgy was beautiful.  It capped off my day.

     You may not know that I am a part of a radio ministry in the area on WAOB (We Are One Body), a Catholic channel that ministers throughout a wide area on both am & fm.  I am part of a daily "lectio divina" program entitled "Drawing Life-giving Waters From Jacob's Well" broadcast every evening live from 8 to 9 pm.  I usually take the Saturday evening program and give reflections on the next day's scriptures.  I have been blessed to do this ministry for nearly three years now.

     The station also has me record English versions of talks that our Holy Father gives to various group, for broadcast at varying times throughout the day.  I did such a taping this afternoon, and it spoke to my heart of the need for the strength of the Holy Spirit in our lives, especially today.

    The Holy Father was speaking to CHARIS - The Catholic Charismatic Renewal International Service leadership group in a video message for their Pentecost Vigil Celebration.  The Holy Father said that we are to be a "witness to Jesus".  He said that "today the world suffers, it is wounded … the world needs us to give it Jesus.  We are only able to give this witness with the strength of the Holy Spirit."

     He reminds us that the Spirit gives us new eyes to see that we are in this world of suffering and joy together, united by the power of the Holy Spirit.  He says that "We have before us the duty to build a new reality.  The Lord will do it; we can collaborate: "I make all things new", He says in Revelation 21:5.

    Then he said something profound.  "When we come out of this pandemic, we will no longer be able to do what we have been doing, how we have been doing it.  No, everything will be different."

     "From the great trials of humanity, including this pandemic, we emerge either better or worse.  We do not come out the same."  The Holy Spirit changes our hearts, strengthens our resolve, inspires our spirits and helps us to come out better."

     Good, strong, necessary words.  The question we have been asking here is: "Will things ever get back to normal?"  Normal is not enough!  We need to trust the strength of the Spirit to help come out better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment