Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cardinal Foley

     Last evening I watched the funeral Mass for John Patrick Cardinal Foley which took place at the Cathedral in Philadelphia, his home town.  Cardinal Foley had been Grand Master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre before retirement because of health.  Prior to that he had been head of the Vatican's Social Communications Office, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, was the voice of the English transmission of the Pope's Christmas Mass.  I had never met Cardinal Foley, but as is evident from every one's comments, he was a simple, humble, generous person who loved his God and all of God's people.

     The funeral, which I taped from EWTN, was a beautiful celebration of his life and of his love of Philly.  Archbishop Dolan's homily was moving.  I'm glad I watched.

     On a personal note, I did spot among the bishops present our own Bishop Lawrence Brandt as well as Archbishop Giuseppe "Joe" De Andrea from the Vatican who is involved in the Order.  Archbishop De Andrea is (was) one of our priests for many years before moving to the Diplomatic Corps of the Vatican.  He too is a great guy, who, along with his brother, John, is a retired Archbishop in Rome.  And also to see three other local boys who made good - Cardinals Donald Wherl and Daniel Dinardo and (I think I saw) Adam Maida, all Pittsburgh priests who serve the Church well.

     God grant Cardinal Foley gentle peace and wonderful joy for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment