Friday, December 23, 2011

The uncertainty of age

     I still consider myself a relatively young priest, even though the years keep adding up and the ability and stamina to do things is diminishing.  The physical challenges are increasing, but so is the grace of God in my life.  I am blessed.

     That is why I am so concerned about myself this Christmas.  Despite it being the day before the day before, I am resigned to let that which is not accomplished not be a worry.  What is done is done, and the rest can wait.  I am focusing my energies and time on preparing and resting for the liturgical celebrations.  I am NOT running around like a headless chicken attempting to do the impossible.

     This worries me, for it so out of character!  But, hey, I'm enjoying it tremendously.  I did do a little shopping today at Target (tea pot, paper towels, christmas wrap, a few cards - last of the big spenders) and couldn't wait to get back to the car ... and Giant Eagle (bread, cheese, celery, gift cards - but I forgot the milk).  Then I had a good dinner and now home to "veg out"..

     The Church looks great, all seems ready, bring on the Birthday Celebrations!  For those who may be concerned at the undertone of this post ... it is indeed "tongue in cheek".  All is fine and I am looking forward to Christmas (and finding out how many do not know that we have a new translation!).  I attribute this change in my methods to "the uncertainty of age".

     Nothing tomorrow until out Christmas Eve Vigil at 6:00 pm (the children's gathering), the Mass at Midnight, and on Sunday, Christmas day, the regular Sunday schedule of 8:30 & 11:00 am.  Then later, dinner and quality time with Janie (my sister) and Sammy (the pup).

     Take time tonight and tomorrow to rest, relax and prepare your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment