Monday, February 25, 2013

Our moment in the spotlight

     As I mentioned before, there is much attention being placed upon the "last days" of the papacy of Pope Benedict XVI.  Yesterday's focus was on his last public Angelus celebration in the square, where one report had nearly 200,000 people present.

     Our local newspaper, the Greensburg Tribune Review did an article on this final Angelus, and spoke with me as well as came to our parish at the 11:00 am Mass to take a few pictures and interview a few parishioners.  Our communications director for the Diocese of Greensburg, Jerry Zufelt, called Friday morning to see if I was saying anything about Benedict this weekend, and if I would be open to someone from the Trib coming to Mass.  I gave my okay, and spoke to the Religion Editor by phone Friday afternoon, then welcomed the two staff people of the Trib to Mass on Sunday.  People were wondering what the photographer was there for (a baptism, or a cover piece before my call to Rome? HA!).  I assured them that it was harmless, but that if any of the young people needed proof for their parents that they were at church, that Craig (the photographer) might be able to get their picture in the paper.  That got a chuckle.  The only thing that we did differently was to pray the Angelus at the conclusion of the Mass, in solidarity with the Holy Father.  PS ... I wasn't sure how many still prayed the Angelus regularly, but was pleasantly surprised at the response to the prayers.

     The article was in the February 25th edition of the Greensburg Tribune Review.  Even though I was not quoted all that much, there were a few pictures, and a few of the parishioners who spoke to the reporter.  It was a nice piece, and gave our parish of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton a "moment in the spotlight".

No comments:

Post a Comment