Monday, May 2, 2016

a pause on the journey - a lost month

     One month ago, April 1st, I awoke on that Friday morning with my right leg twice the size of my left leg.  This was after a night of soreness and nausea that I thought was the beginning of the flu.  As the day progressed, my leg from the knee down began to turn red and get hot, and by evening there was a place where there was an oozing of fluid on the lower leg.  On Saturday I went to the emergency room and was admitted for six days with a severe case of cellulitis and a severe case of sepsis in the blood in the right leg.  At the same time, my left shoulder, which is full of arthritis and is a regular problem, froze up on me so that I could not use it at all.

     After two MRI's and two other major procedures, a month of intravenous and then oral antibiotics, and multiple visits to the infectuous disease doctor and the wound clinic to deal with the five wounds that developed on the right leg, I an slowly recovering.  I have done nothing for the month of April.  In fact, it has been lost to me, as has much of the Easter season.  Saturday was my first excursion out - to Mass and yesterday to our annual Bike Blessing, and they did me in.  This is my first time at the computer as well.

     Throughout all of this, my neighboring brothers from IC and Saint Agnes have been graciously covering for me.  My staff has been great and very accomadating.  The parishioners and friends have kept me in prayer and thought, with cards and visits.  And most importantly, my sister Janie has stopped her life to take care of me in every way possible.  I am in her debt.  To all who have been praying for me ....THANK YOU!  And keep praying.  I can't wear a shoe yet, and am not driving.  I will post whenever I can, and will keep you all in thought and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment