Sunday, June 5, 2016

A Tuesday story

     I would like to tell you of a great experience in my life this past Tuesday, but first I want to acknowledge and congratulate a young man, Father Ryan Ravis, who was ordained as a priest for the Diocese of Greensburg yesterday morning (Saturday) by Bishop Ed Malesic.  I wish Ryan many years of happy and fruitful priesthood.  More on his ordination at another time.  Pray for him ... and pray for priestly vocations.

     This past Tuesday afternoon I had the opportunity to host a small luncheon for our parish staff and a group of individuals who have been extremely helpful during my recent illness.  A great part of the group of about twenty-five that gathered for lunch were members of our Christian Mothers, who every other day graciously brought meals to the rectory for my sister and myself.  They were delicious and I suggest helped with the healing process.  We gathered at a local establishment and shared food and fellowship in a relaxed setting.  I am most grateful to all who visited, helped, sent cards and greetings, and prayed for my recovery.

     My sister and the staff at the parish also transformed this gathering of thanks into a birthday celebration for yours truly (the birthday was on Monday, May 30th).  A good time was had by all.

     Tuesday was the feast of the Visitation, when Mary visited her cousin, Elizabeth, who was also with child.  I pointed out, both at Mass and at the luncheon, that this feast is a model of what we can be and need to be for others.  In the little things, like a visit or a prepared meal, we not only do something good and perform a work of mercy, but like Mary, we bring with us the presence of Christ to those whose lives we touch.  And when we, on the receiving end of things, realize the blessing that has come our way, we rejoice and our hearts leap for joy at the presence of our Lord in the life of another.  I experienced that presence and that love, and for that I count my blessings.  That is why this little lunch was so important for me.

     We have a very talented and creative person on staff who is a musician, Diana Mikash.  She composed a little "dittie" that all sang to me to the tune of "Hello Dolly".  I thought that I would share this "Ditties by Di" selection with you.

Hello Lenny
 
I said hello Lenny, well hello Lenny,
It's so great that we can all be here with you.
You're lookin' swell, Lenny, we can tell, Lenny,
That you've followed doctor's orders
and nurse Jane's, too!
 
We've missed you so, Lenny.  Don't you know, Lenny
that there's no one who could ever take your place so
Welcome back, Lenny.
Things can now get on track, Lenny.
Everything will be just fine.
You're still young, you're sixty-nine!
Lenny, don't ever go away again1
 
Hey don't you fret, Lenny.  We can bet, Lenny,
You'll be back to doing things you like to do.
You'll be in church, Lenny, on your perch, Lenny.
and hit all the local eateries that missed you, too!
 
Just one more year, Lenny, that you're here, Lenny,
and we've got so much to do before you go, now
don't you fear, Lenny,
we'll get you through your final year, Lenny.
So just look at it this way, 70's just one more year away!
May God bless you on this special day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment