Monday, November 19, 2018

A surprise act of kindness

     Yesterday as I was returning from my hour long live program of scriptural reflections (lectio divina) on our local Catholic radio station WAOB [We Are One Body] 106.7 FM, I stopped at the local Eat & Park restaurant for a sandwich, fries and dessert.  It was late (9pm) and I had my trusty Nook with me so that I could read my latest James Patterson novel while eating alone.  I enjoyed the meal and the quiet, and as I was preparing to leave, a gentleman from the next table (there were two couples at the table) stopped me and said: "Let me have your check."  I said thanks but that wasn't necessary, but he insisted.  So I thanked him profusely, told them all "God bless you!", and with a grateful heart headed for home.  He even met me at the door and offered to hold the door for me as I backed out with my walker.  I am certain that he did not know that I was a priest - which made this act of kindness even more random and appreciated.  I did note that these four joined hands to pray before eating their meal … I overheard comments about church and the sermon, so I presume that they were people of faith sharing God's blessings.  I was blessed … and I am grateful to them and to so many who have touched my life over the years with their generosity.  It was a great way to begin this Thanksgiving week.

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

     Sadly our Diocesan family said a prayerful farewell to Father Micah Kozoil, one of our priests who just retired from active parish ministry this Summer.  Father Micah's funeral liturgy was celebrated this morning at Saint Aloysius Church in Dunbar, where he served as pastor until his retirement.   Father Micah served the Diocese and the Church for many years in a dedicated and committed ministry as shepherd.  He will be missed.



     Father Micah was ordained to the priesthood for the Benedictine Community at Saint Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe in 1976 and served as a professor of mathematics at the college.  His vocational journey led him to join the Diocesan Community of the Diocese of Greensburg, where he was incardinated in 1994, serving in numerous parishes over these years.  He was a gentle soul who shared his faith and cultural traditions with those that he met.

       May Father Micah Rest In Peace!

++++++++++++++++++

     And on a final note for today … yesterday on facebook a friend of mine commented that he thinks that I have given up posting on "Journey Thoughts".  I may have slowed down a bit, but I have not given up.  So hang in there, dear friend, Mike Bates!

No comments:

Post a Comment