Thursday, November 1, 2018

Mea culpa

September 11, 2018

      The above date is the last time that I posted on "Journey Thoughts".  I am sorry!
     
     One of the beautiful aspects of ministry for me over the years has been the experience of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  There were many times when I would encounter someone who has been away from the Sacrament for a long time.  I usually would ask them if there was a reason for not approaching the Sacrament.  Sometimes there was … and you could address the issue or the fear and welcome them back to the Lord's embrace.  Most often it was simply a case of procrastination, no serious sin and despite the best of intentions not stepping up to the plate.  And as time goes on, there is the ongoing reluctance to admit the avoidance of the Sacrament and the embarrassment and fear of finally doing it.
     I would then ask them what brought them back.

     I feel like that embarrassed and guilty penitent in posting today, after so long a time.  My reasons involve a bit of laziness, or the condition of retirement.  But they also involve the ongoing and persistent situation of confusion and struggle that is a part of the sexual abuse crisis within the Church and among the clergy.  These have been trying times.  I can assure you that there were many days when the struggle of my thoughts and feelings tried to find words, but were all over the place.  I had many posts in my mind and heart in those days, and I apologize for not sharing them with you.  I have been kept busy with parish and sacramental assistance and with the "lectio divina" presentations on my WAOB Catholic radio programs.  But there is not an excuse for the hiatus in "Journey Thoughts".
     My reason for posting today is the feast of All Saints … the reminder that we are all called to holiness and that our journey in this Valley of Tears is one guided and watched over by a most loving God.   And it is time to once again share the hope that I find in this flawed but God-graced Church that is my/our Mother.

     I will endeavor to be true to this aspect of ministry in the future.
Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment