Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Catholic School Mass

     This morning I concelebrated the annual Diocesan Catholic Schools Mass at Blessed Sacrament Cathedral in Greensburg.  Bishop Lawrence Brandt was celebrant and a number of the priests concelebrated.  Representatives of our two Diocesan High Schools and Junior High Schools, as well as representative classes from the other Catholic Schools in the four counties, gathered to celebrate our identity and the blessing of a Catholic School education.  Today is the feast of Saint Matthew, the Apostle and Evangelist.

     The bishop spoke of the banners that lead us on our journey.  They speak of FAITH ... ACADEMICS ... and SERVICE.  Even though the struggle to continue to provide for Catholic School Education grows, and we are a shadow of what we once were, we are very proud of this part of the Mission of the Church and of our students, faculties and administrations and families, and of the sacrifice of the parishes in making this Mission happen.

     I am the product of Catholic School Education, from kkindergarten through grad school in theology.  I was taught by Sisters of the Holy Ghost from Pittsburgh, Benedictine priests and Third Order Franciscan priests, Diocesan clergy and dedicated lay men and women.  I am very grateful for all that I received over the years.  I am forever in the debt of those dedicated men and women.

     Yesterday I celebrated Eucharistic Liturgy for the students of our regional school - Queen of Angels.  It is always a great experience.

*************************

    Today was the first time that I saw the newly (still ongoing) renovated Blessed Sacrament Cathedral of the Greensburg Diocese.  Bishop Brandt has brought his touch to our Cathedral, and the change is dramatic.  More on that later, but I find that I struggle with the loss of the simple beauty that I have known for the nearly forty years of my priesthood, which made it a great place for worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment