Thursday, September 15, 2011

Remembering ... a great day

     We have been in the remembering mode for the past few days.  Yesterday was the Feast of the Exultation of the Holy Cross, a great feast in itself but one that has greater signifigance in my life because of a special celebration on that day eight years ago.

     On September 14th in 2003, the parish family of Saint John the Baptist in Scottdale, where I served as pastor at the time, celebrated the 125th anniversay of its founding.  I had been fortunate enough to be in attendance at the 100th, and now would lead the 125th celebration.  We had a special liturgy that Sunday afternoon, followed by a dinner at the Pleasant Valley Country Club.  For the liturgy, we invited priests with ties to the parish, as well as neighbors and friends.  We invited local clergy who were represented by the pastors of the Mennonite and the Presbyterian Churches in town.  We invited the Religious Communities of the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill, whose Sisters served there for 99 years, and the Benedictine Sisters of Pittsburgh who continued the mission.  Parishioners and former parishioners joined with us for a wonderfully joyous liturgy.




     We choose that date (the specific first mass was sometime in September of 1878) because it was a great feast - the Exultation of the Holy Cross.  Our focus in celebrating could be the love of Christ found in the sacrifice on the cross and not primarily on ourselves.  It was great.

     That year also marked the 30th anniversary of my ordination, and even though I made it clear to the organizing committee that I did not want to be included in the celebration, they surprised me by doing just that.  At the end of Mass they presented me with gifts and prayers greater than I deserved, and I continue to be most grateful.  Scottdale, as I have shared before, has been a major part of my priesthood, with fifteen of the last thirty-nine years having been spent in ministry there (as deacon, associate pastor and pastor).  They are dear to my heart, and I pray for them daily.

     As we lift high the cross of Christ, may we be drawn to his healing love and led to the table of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment