Saturday, February 18, 2012

Giving thanks

     Saying "thank you" is so easy, and when it comes from the heart, so powerful.  Giving thanks should be second nature to people of faith, for the central act of our worship is Eucharist - giving thanks.  Expressing gratitude to someone or for something is to acknowledge our awareness of the blessing that has touched our lives.

     I mention this today as I return from a parish appreciation dinner/dance of our neighboring parish of Saint Agnes.  They gathered at our hall for the annual celebration.  And it was a great party!  The priests and staff, the organizations and committees, the people of the parish show their gratitude for the ministry and service of countless parishioners through this event.

     I mention this today as I bring to a close a project of mine to personally say thank you and sign the contribution statements of our parishioners (all 1,000+ families or individuals).  From the smallest amount to the greatest, I want them to know of my gratitude and that of the parish family for their stewardship.  Many priests can't or choose not to take the time to do this, except for those requesting the statement, but I feel that it is important.

     I usually thank those attending Mass for being present, never assuming that just because it is their responsibility to be present that they should be there.  Likewise, I try to express my gratitude whenever I can for whatever comes my way.  I feel that it is very important that people not be taken for granite.

     Giving thanks is essential to living out the Christian message of love, flowing from our initial reason to give thanks - the love of Christ in our lives.  And with that in mind, I am very grateful to God for this ministry and your interest in Journey Thoughts.  God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment