Monday, July 2, 2012

A stern warning

     If you get a chance to read the Scriptures for the day [ particularly Amos 2:6-10, 13-16 & Psalm 50:16b-23 ] please do so.  We are so caught up in not offending others that we sometimes absolutely need to hear the word of God come before us with all of its harsh reality.  While we rely upon the love and mercy of the Lord in our lives, the call to discipleship requires that we respond to his grace, that we make an effort to follow him, that we desire in our hearts that unity that is crucial to life itself.

     Amos lays it on the line.  The actions of his people reveal a people who do not think that God is true to his word, that he will not deal with them as they deserve, that he is a pushover.  And thus they live lives that do not reflect the covenant.  Amos warns them of their impending doom.

    The 50th Psalm response today is "Remember this, you who never think of God." The psalm then goes on to say:

"Why do you recite my statutes and profess my covenant
with your mouth, though you hate discipline and
cast my words behind you?
When you see a theif, you keep pace with him,
and with adulterers you throw in your lot.
To your mouth you give free reign for evil,
you harness your tongue to deceit.
You sit speaking against your brother;
against your mother's son you spread rumors.
When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it?
Or do you think that I am like yourself?
I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes.
Consider this, you who fear God,
lest I rend you and there be no one to rescue you.
He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me;
and to him that goes the right way
I will show the salvation of God."


Sometimes it is good and necessary to face the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment