Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Another day ... A new year of blessing

yste       Today I find myself so blessed in my priesthood and in my life as I celebrate my seventy-first birthday. 
    First the gift of family - Mom and Dad who provided everything that has made my life possible ... life and love, support and encouragement.  They continue to love and stand by me in their eternal life with the Father.  And my sister, Janie.  We have always been close, but we have been best friends since I completed my schooling and came home and was ordained as a priest.  She was with me yesterday as we shared the day together.  I love her dearly.   And the rest of my family, a great group of aunts and uncles (all of whom have gone home to heaven) and a multitude of cousins and their families.      
     Then the gift of neighbors and so many friends that I have had the blessing to know over the years of my life and priesthood.  Their love and support is what keeps me going, and I am most grateful.
     And then the gift of my families of faith in the numerous parishes where the Lord has called me to be of service.   It is so hard to imagine the number of lives that I have been privileged to serve in these past forty-five years, and continue to touch in my new status as a retired pastor.
     The Lord has been SO GOOD!  I am blessed!

***********************
     This past week has been filled with great opportunities.  One of these was to provide the Scripture Reflection for Trinity Sunday for the Diocesan Web Site.  I am one of a number of individuals who provides this weekly message, in written form and on vocal recording.  I would like to share the reflection here.

     "The Church was born into this world when the Spirit came at Pentecost.  Through Word and Promise, God has given her life and prepared her for her mission.  In the power of the Holy Spirit, the plan of God was accomplished, Jesus Christ was proclaimed Lord of all creation, and the Church came forth from the womb crying out with joy.
     Last week we celebrated that birthday of the Church, and in these next two weeks the Church acknowledges two basic truths that we hold dear: the mystery of God who calls us to holiness and the gift of nourishment in Eucharist that God has given us for the journey.  Today we look at the first of those truths as we celebrate Trinity Sunday.
     Our rich Judeo-Christian heritage leads us to acclaim that there is only One God.  this is a relatively unique concept among peoples of the world.  This One God created all, including humanity, and calls us into a relationship with him.  we say "Him", even though God cannot be limited by gender or in any other way.  This One God manifests himself in three distinct and unique persons.
     He is the creator God, the One who sets all things in motion, the master planner.  He established the Covenant.
     He is also the Word that calls all things into being.  He reveals himself in the person of Jesus, the Christ, the splendid blending of the divine and human natures, the God-man, as God's Son.  And Jesus tells us that he is sent by the Father to do the Father's will.  He is the redeemer and savior.  It is in his blood that the Covenant has been sealed.
     And the bond of love that exists between Father and Son is so deep and awesome that it stands apart in its life-giving force as the Holy Spirit, the Advocate, the Paraclete.  The Spirit breathes life into our existence and empowers us to embrace the Covenant with faith and joy, and to move forward as Church.
     People have attempted to explain the Trinity, this belief in One God in Three Persons.  Every attempt falls short, for how can you explain the mystery of God?  Some show three aspects of the same reality: H2O as water, ice and steam.  Tradition says that Patrick used a shamrock: three sections of one plant.  Mathematicians might point out that 1 x 1 x 1 - 1 (all Greek to me) or point to a triangle of three equal sides comprising one geometric design.
     The Scriptures reveal this mystery in countless ways: in the story of creation - God created, his Word called forth, and his Breath brought life ... or in the vision of Ezekiel 37 - the vision given of dry bones, called by the Word of God into existence as a great army, and receiving the "ruah", the breath of God, that brings that army to life.
     As Paul says in Romans: through the Spirit and in unity with Christ Jesus, we call God our Father, and are glorified with him.  And as we seek God's blessing, we do so as always "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."
     


No comments:

Post a Comment