Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Responding to needed ministry

    My time away from "Journey Thoughts" found me busy in ministry, even in retirement.  In addition to the regular Masses here at the Neumann House residence for retired priests, I try on weekends to attend Mass at one of the neighboring parishes, to continue to be with God's people and worship in a parish setting.  I also helped out a few times.  On April 21st, following the Saturday evening Mass, I shared a talk and discussion with an adult formation group at my old parish of Saint John the Baptist in Scottdale.  It was good to be with old friends whose welcome made me feel good.   The following Saturday I had another great experience of "coming home" as I covered the 4:00 evening Mass at the former parish of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Church.  And the following Saturday I travelled an hour north to offer Mass at Good Shepherd parish in Kent, in Indiana County, covering for Father Willie Lechnar.  That day happened to be my 45th anniversary of ordination, and the good people of Good Shepherd expressed their appreciation for my priesthood with their thoughts and prayers, and a round of applause.
     The next morning, on May 6th, my sister and I travelled to Saint Sylvester Church in Brentwood (Pittsburgh Diocese) for the First Holy Communion of the daughter of our cousin.  Sara Radilla was excited and beautiful as she and her class received the Lord for the first time.
     I also joined the deacon aspirants from the Pittsburgh Diocese for their retreat Mass one Sunday in the Saint Joseph Chapel here on our campus.  Their leader and celebrant was a classmate, Father Joe Mele, and it was good to share prayer with him and them.
     There were a couple of times when I offered my service in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, hearing confessions for groups here at the Bishop Connare Center where I live, most recently the graduating class from Saint Joseph High School in Natrona who were on a day of recollection.
     Who said that there is nothing to do in retirement?  The good thing is that I have the opportunity to do what I am able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment