Sunday, May 20, 2018

Come, Holy Spirit

THE GREAT FEAST OF PENTECOST

     After an absence of well over a month (with poor and inadequate reasons to be given in a future post), I am back.
I feel like the prodigal son, who I am going to paraphrase:  "I have sinned against God and against you, my sisters and brothers" for neglecting this blog for so long.  Please forgive me.
     Pentecost is about getting the message out, of proclaiming the Good News, of bearing witness to the awesome love of God in our lives.   These Journey Thoughts are my witness to the working of the Spirit in my life.
     A part of my retired ministry is involvement in the local Catholic Radio station WAOB fm - 106.7 on your dial.  WAOB stands for "We Are One Body", and I have been periodically sharing a live, "lectio divina" (teaching) on a program entitled "Drawing Life Giving Waters From Jacob's Well".  Four Scriptures are read and I give three small reflections on each of the Scriptures (twelve for each program), interspersed with music and a period of silence following each reflection.  I just returned from tonight's program (from 8 to 9 pm) at the studio in Latrobe.  This was my fourth program this month, with one more next Sunday.
     It has dawned on me that I could share some of these thoughts with you, and so I share one such reflection from tonight.  The reading was John 3:1-21.  Here is what I shared.        
    
     Our reading from the 3rd chapter of the Gospel of Saint John introduces us to the revolutionary work that God is doing among his people.  We meet Nicodemus, a leader of the people and a searcher for truth.  He comes to Jesus as an inquirer and acknowledges him as a "teacher come from God".
     Jesus says in verse 3 that one cannot see the kingdom of God unless he be born again.  He says in verse 5: "Truly I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Holy Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."
     We believe that salvation comes to those invited by the Lord to embrace the new life of faith.  To enter this new life we must be willing to enter into the waters of baptism - a rejection of sin and failure and an emergence from the waters of death into new life.  But we must be open to the fresh new beginning that the Advocate, the Holy Spirit brings into our lives.  We must be born anew as children of God.  Take a moment to appreciate this new life offered and given to us.

     Tomorrow the Church celebrates a new memorial honoring Mary as "Mother of the Church".  This celebration was set for the Monday following Pentecost by Pope Francis this past Spring.  We have been entrusted to both Mary and the Church as children of faith.  May our love for Mother Church and Mother Mary be deep and abiding.  And may you be understanding (and forgiving) in your patience with me.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment