Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How Often?

     There was a question asked by Peter in today's Gospel passage from Matthew (Mt. 18:21-35): "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him?  As many as seven times?"  We are creatures of habit, prone to repetition in our lives.  In the realm of relationships sin repeatedly raises its ugly head.  Thus the question.

     There has been a modification of the scripture translation for this passage in the lectionary.  When I was first ordained, I remember the translation as having Jesus say:
" Not seven times, but seventy times seven times".  The newer translation says: "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times". I like the older translation.

     Seven is the Lord's number.  It describes perfection, fulfillment, completeness.  To forgive seven times would speak of fulfilling all that would be expected of me.  It was a good observation on Peter's part.  And to say "Not seven times, but seventy times seven times" puts it into the realm of the limitless.  There is never a moment when someone comes seeking forgiveness with a truly contrite heart that we can limit our forgiveness, for we pattern our lives after the heart of Christ.

     For me, to say "seventy-seven times" places it within a limited, tangible reality.  Seventy-seven is within reach, easily able to be done.  Seventy times seven times requires that I work at figuring out what those numbers mean (math was never my strength!) ... and automatically places it in another category.  I like the older translation.

     But whichever translation is used, the challenge remains to forgive as the Lord has forgiven, with deep and abiding love and with limitless mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment