Sunday, April 10, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham

     If you recognize the reference in the title, then you know of Dr. Seuss.  I'm not sure when the stories came out, but they were not in my growing up years.  I am aware of the Grinch, and of Horton and the Who, but it was only last evening that I met some of the other characters.  My sister, Janie, and I attended the production of "Seussical, Jr." put on by Aquinas Academy Catholic School of Greensburg.  I went for two reasons: I was one of the founding pastors of Aquinas back in the '90's and still have ties and fond memories ... but also because I had the honor of baptizing the Mayor of Whoville, a.k.a. Sean Newhouse in this production, many years ago.  He and his family are great friends.

     The kids did a tremendous job.  Dr. Seuss is all in rhyme, and the play is fast paced and very musical.  I could never have done what they did.  And the dancing and sets and everything else was well done.  Kudos to all involved.   "Horton" did particularly well, as did the "Cat in the Hat".

     There are a couple of great quotes from "Horton and the Who" that stand out, and I understand, have been embraced by the Pro - Life cause: namely "A person is a person, no matter how small" and "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It's not!"  Both express great truths.

*******************

     On a more serious note, this morning's Scriptures invite us to acknowledge Jesus not simply as a healer or miracle worker or friend or teacher or even a raiser from the dead, but to acknowledge that He is "the Christ, the Son of the living God".  Until we acknowledge Jesus as Lord in our lives, we stand on the "outside looking in".  Proclaim Him as Lord in your life, and celebrate all that He is for you.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment