Friday, April 1, 2011

Lenten Friday 4 - Questions

     Did you ever find your mind filled with questions at a meeting or a talk or lecture?  Did you ask those questions of the presenter?   Or were you like I so often find myself, hesitant to ask the question because maybe its not clear to just me or because the question may seem foolish or because I just don't know how to phrase the question properly?  And yet questions are important to ask, for without questions, the clarity of the facts and truth that we seek escapes us.

     In today's Gospel from Matthew (Mt.12:28-34), there is a scribe who asks a good question: "Which is the first of all the commandments?"   In his answer, Jesus combines the first and second (love of God and love of neighbor) into the greatest.  He also acknowledges the quality of the question and praises the insight and wisdom of the questioner.  Then there is a curious line - "And no one dared to ask him any more questions."

     Why do we hesitate or dare to not ask?  Why does it seem better to linger in confusion or fear?  I wish that I had the answer.  Psalm 81 says: "I am the Lord your God: hear my voice".  The psalmist goes on to say: "If only my people would hear me, and Israel walk in my ways, I would feed them with the best of wheat, and with honey from the rock I would fill them."  With that reassurance, what have we to fear?

     When we are younger, though, we are a little less hesitant.  Not long ago I visited with the 7th grade at our Catholic school, Queen of Angels.  They had questions.  We spent a session asking and responding to good questions about Faith and life.  They have invited me back soon, and just yesterday I received a list of questions still on their minds.  I can't wait to visit again.  Their teacher, Mrs. Judy Skoretz, does a great job.  Her teaching job, is like so many, a true ministry.  We are fortunate, and grateful. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment