Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An Observation

     Recently I read an article that reported that the rector of the Cathedral of Ss Simon and Jude in Phoenix had instituted a new policy that restricts the role of server at the altar to men and boys, excluding the women and girls.  The reasoning is that this could/would serve as a vehicle to encourage boys to consider a vocation to the priesthood.  A good friend of mine, Mike Ripple expounds upon this move in a recent post on his blog pray-lium.  Here are three observations that come from my experience.

     First, my own vocation was not a result of my being an altar boy from the fourth grade on.  Being a server did not hurt the nurturing, but it was, following the call of God, the example of good priests in our parish, the encouragement of the nuns in school, and the climate of the time that saw a response to the call to priesthood as something worth pursuing.

     Secondly is an experience in my time as pastor at All Saints Church in Masontown, Pennsylvania.  I opened the ministry of acolyte to girls as well as boys, and the response was great.  These were the days before girl servers were "approved".  But Masontown was far enough away from the central offices that it did not matter. 

     The bishop came for Confirmation in the parish.  Not being foolish, I scheduled only boys to serve.  All went well.  A few weeks later I get a call from the Vicar General (the second in command) asking if we had girl servers.  I hesitated a moment, then admitted that we did.  He said the bishop asked him to remind me that it was still not officially allowed, and to use my pastoral judgement.  I thanked him, and judged it prudent to keep the girls.  The Sherlock Holmes in me wanted to know how they found out.  It seems that, waiting for the Confirmation to begin, the bishop casually asked what the guys thought of girl servers, and they replied that it was great with them and they enjoyed having them here at All Saints.  I give the administration credit for not pursuing the matter further.

     Thirdly, though, when I was transferred, my successor soon called a meeting of all the servers in the Church [ by this time girls were permitted to serve], and then told the girls to go home or back to class, for their service was no longer needed.  It was devastating for them, and a challenge to charity.  I don't know what his reasoning was, but it was, in my judgement, a poor decision.

     Vocations at all levels come from the call of God, the respect shown to the children of God, and the lived example of God's people.  Policies like in Phoenix may or may not help.  I hope they do ... but from my observation, they are not the reason for priestly vocations.

No comments:

Post a Comment