Thursday, August 25, 2011

Stay awake!

     Years ago I picked up a framed piece of "art" from the Three Rivers Arts Festival in Pittsburgh.  It was a hand printed phrase done in calligraphy that stated "Procrastination: making sure that there is always something to do tomorrow."  It spoke to my heart ... and describes an aspect of my life that is well known - procrastination.  I am forever "waiting" to do the things that need to be done.  In school, I never did a paper early ... I always said that I work better under pressure (somewhat true).  I am notorious at being late with things, whether reports or bills or bulletin deadlines (my taxes are usually filed on April 14th - despite the best of intentions the previous year).

     In the gospel of Matthew which we heard today, Jesus says to his disciples: "Stay awake!  For you do not know on which day your Lord will come."  Be prepared!  Even as you read this, officials on the East Coast are encouraging people to "be alert and prepared" for hurricane Irene.    There is so much good common sense in being prepared, in staying alert, of staying awake.  So, why am I /we all too often scrambling to get things done and to save our necks?  I wish I knew.  I wish I could free myself of the reputation as a "procrastinator".

     When it comes to our relationship with the Lord, and our eternal life of blessing, there cannot be and should not be any "putting it off" until tomorrow.  We need to act NOW, not out of fear of losing out or not getting in, but because the relationship involves the blessings of the present moment as well as eternal life.  Why should I / how can I miss out on those blessings, when they have been won for me / us at so great a cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment