Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Yahweh-shalom

     There is an interesting passage in the Book of Judges from the Hebrew Scriptures this morning.  A battle was imminent with Midian when an angel appeared to Gideon, the son of Joash.  The angel said: "The LORD is with you, O champion!"  Gideon was confused, for things did not look promising to his people and it seemed like God's intervention was a thing of the past, ancient history.  The LORD said to him: "Go with the strength you have and save Israel ... It is I who send you."

     Gideon, keenly aware of his limitations and nothingness, this time was confused because he was being sent as a "champion" of his people.  He wanted proof, and asked for a sign that he wasn't imagining things.  He asked the LORD to wait on him.  When he returned he brought an offering to God, which was consumed in fire.  He realized that he had seen an angel of the LORD face to face, and feared for his life.  The LORD said to him: "Be calm, do not fear.  You shall not die."  He built an altar to the LORD there, and called it Yahweh-shalom.  Then, at peace with himself and the LORD, went on to champion his people.

     Are you ever aware of how unsuited to a task or unprepared for the responsibilities entrusted to you?  I am.  Continually I am amazed, not at the ability of God to work with me, but at the wisdom he gives me to trust in him and let go.  Even as I write this a phone call came from a friend who spoke of the words I shared at a recent event that spoke to many hearts.  Those words were not mine, but came from the Lord who spoke through me.  I am humbled and blessed to be a conduit of his grace.  Knowing God and knowing myself, I could or should stand in fear; but the relationship that I have with him, even with my weaknesses, is the altar that gives me peace - my Yahweh-shalom.  I am grateful beyond measure.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment