Sunday, August 28, 2011

Of many things

     In yesterday's post I mentioned that the weekend was about family (I mentioned Monica and Augustine specifically).  This past week for me was about family as well.  My sister, Janie, and her puppy Sammy spent the week with me as part of her vacation.  We didn't go anywhere or do much but relax and enjoy a great week of weather, but it was good being together.  Janie is not only my sister, but a great friend, and I love her dearly.  She returned home this evening, and will get back to work tomorrow.  Janie lives in our family home in Uniontown, PA.

     Our prayers and thoughts go out to those affected by the devastation of the storm that hit the East Coast of the U.S. this week, hurricane Irene.  The lives lost, the destruction of property, the flooding and power losses I'm sure took a great toll on countless people.  Thank God the worst is over.

     I had the opportunity to view some of the upcoming changes in translation for the liturgy that will begin with the first Sunday of Advent.  I'm sure we'll talk about this a great deal more, but many prayers at the Mass will be a little or a lot different, for both the congregation as well as the priest.  Some day soon I'll try to explain the why of what is happening, for there is a logic to it ... but I am not impressed with some of the translations, primarily because they definitely challenge my comfort levels of prayer.  I looked at the Easter Proclamation - the Exultet - one of the most beautiful prayers of the Easter Vigil, and (please forgive the personal opinion) I almost cried.  It will take time and effort, patience and persistence to find beauty and ease of praying in this translation [again - my opinion].  Please excuse the mini rant.

     Sunday is winding down, and God continues to be good.  For that we must be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment