Thursday, January 26, 2012

An anniversary missed

     Twenty years ago on January 22nd I arrived at the Church of Saint Paul in Greensburg to begin my sixth assignment as priest and my third as pastor.  I was coming from All Saints in Masontown, a small parish of 600 families in a small town where I had spent five years - to Saint Paul, a parish of about 1,700 families in the outskirts of Greensburg - one of four Catholic parishes in the city.  I spent eight and a half years there, made many friends, and experienced the grace of God in so many ways.

     But the day of my arrival was bitterly cold.  The wind was whipping and the snow flying.  I arrived with the last of my stuff in the early afternoon and found things to be even colder.  The dinner for my family and invited priests before the installation Mass scheduled for that evening, promised by the priest administrator who was leaving, was not a reality.  I had come into a situation where the previous pastor was moved by the diocese, and people were angry.  The administrator of three months did nothing to calm the waters.  Then he, and the assistant were moved, and Father Stephen West and I arrived, to mixed emotions and an uncertain welcome.

     After arranging for dinner out, I was welcomed by the parish council and choir and liturgical ministers and many of the parishioners at the Installation Mass and reception which was beautiful.  Then began the process of "getting to know you" between the parishioners and the priests.  It seemed to me to take longer than usual to win over the trust of the people.  But during that time, I had parishioners who were supportive and who befriended me in my move and ministry in Greensburg.  One couple, Bill and Mary Ann Newhouse, even sent me a note of welcome and prayerful support as soon as the announcement was made, and I was able to bring that with me.  We have remained great friends.  My staff, even with change-overs, was always there for me.  Once the trust with the parish family was established, we were able to do great things ... and for that I am grateful.  The coldness of the first days gave way to the warmth of love and respect.

     So, January 22nd, 1992 was a transitional moment for me ... and hopefully for the Church of Saint Paul.  Twenty years - where has time gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment