Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Call

     Our Hebrew Scripture today is from the 1st Book of Samuel.  Samuel recounts how, asleep in his usual place in the temple of the Lord, he heard someone call him - once, twice, three times - each time thinking it was his teacher Eli and each time answering "Here I am."  His teacher discerned that it was the LORD calling, and counselled him to reply "Speak, for your servant is listening."  Thus began a stage of his journey that saw the LORD dwelling with Samuel, not allowing any word of his to be without effect.

     Samuel had been set aside for God as a youth, had been entrusted with a vocation at the temple, had grown and matured in the Lord over the years, had been guided and had sought the discernment of those he trusted, and became the voice and minister of God.  That his Samuel's vocation call and story.

     We are at the mid point of National Vocation Awareness Week in the U.S.  As I reflect upon my call, it is a wonderful journey of awakening.  I've never known a time when I did not want to be a priest.  From Kindergarten on, that was my desire, my hope.  I was blessed with good priests who were an inspiration, a loving and faith filled family, support from school (the Sisters and teachers) and from the parish.  Those days were different and the image of priesthood was exalted.  I must admit that when I entered the seminary at thirteen, my reasons for wanting to be a priest were very different from those when I was ordained.  But that is what seminary is all about, growing, maturing, being challenged, discerning.  It was during that time that I heard the Call of God, not specifically in the same way as Samuel, but no less a Call to serve.  At ordination, when my name was called by the community and by God, I said "Here am I Lord!"

     Over thirty-eight years later, the journey continues, and the grace of God continues to lead me on as I say "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening".  I thank God for my priesthood, and all of those who have brought me to this moment in time.

     Pray for priests ... pray for vocations ... pray for those involved in seminary work ... and pray for those who promote and encourage a response to THE CALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment