Sunday, January 8, 2012

Epiphany

     I have been pastor at Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton for just over three years.  In that time, the Feast of the Epiphany has become very special to me for a variety of reasons.  I always liked the feast - the Three Kings, the Magi, the Wise Men - the carol "We Three Kings" is one of my favorites.  The traditions of blessing homes (we prepared "kits" for our people to do themselves) and writing on the doorposts 20+C+M+B+12 [ two thousand - Casper+Melchior+Balthazar-twelve ... or as I remember being told in High School at Saint Vincent (in humor) - 20 Cases of Monastary Beer at $0.12 a case (a real bargain)].

     But on my fourth Epiphany here at SEAS I remember the following: being installed as pastor by Bishop Lawrence Brandt at the 11 am Mass four years ago (also appropriately the feast of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton - January 4th); missing a step the following year while bringing the Eucharist from the tabernacle and going down before the multitude (none too gracefully) ... surprised people, concerned parishioners, bruised shoulder, great embarrassment; an uneventful day last year; and today, still under the weather, feeling uncertain health wise, I decided to try the "fall thing" again - this time in the garage at the house between Masses - nothing broken, just sore all over.   I think I may have to consider by passing this great feast ... or work at being less of a klutz.  Or, another thought, going somewhere warm and sunny on vacation at this time of the year!

     I made it through the 11am today by doing a lot of sitting (as I was getting stiffer), but I had to cancel a visit this afternoon to Redstone Highlands, a local senior residence run by the Presbyterians, where I was to have my first visit for a chapel service.

     I pray that your Epiphany was a wonderful experience of the manifestation of our loving God.  Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment