Wednesday, June 29, 2011

An Epic Experience

     For the past three Tuesday evenings I have gone to the movies.  Journey Thoughts readers may not know that I am a bit of a movie buff.  In those three evenings I have spent a total of nearly thirteen hours watching three movies of a series: The Lord of the Rings trilogy.  The extended version of the three movies directed by Peter Jackson (The Fellowship of the Ring - The Two Towers - The Return of the King) have been remastered for Blue Ray and were shown on the big screen in a limited engagement at certain theaters.  Locally Lowe's AMC at the Waterfront in Pittsburgh showed the films.  I was joined by a packed theater of fans.  Like me, I am sure this was not the first time they saw the movies.  But to see it on the big screen in the extended version (about an extra hour per movie of scenes not in the original cuts) was a treat.

     For those not familiar with the epic story by J. R. R. Tolkien, the struggle between good and evil, between dark power and the powerless is a great story.   Presented with strange creatures and unusual settings, it is filled with images that reflect the author's Catholic faith.  Every time I have read the books over the years I find inspiration as well as enjoyment, and with the movies the unusual has become more visually understandable - whether hobbits or wizards or elves or dwarfs or orcs or ents etc, etc, etc.  The creative mind of Peter Jackson and company deserved the numerous awards received at the Oscars.

     You may be of the same mindset as a number of my friends who wonder about my sanity, or at least good sense, to watch this kind of a story for thirteen hours.  I have a friend who prefers strict history, or a realistic setting.  Yet this epic experience of viewing the epic adventures of Frodo and Sam in the epic classic story of salvation and the triumph of good over evil in the Lord of the Rings was, for me, time well spent.  Thought I would share that with you.  As I was leaving, a few people that I had met over these weeks, including the older gentleman who took our tickets, said: "See you for the next movie".  Peter Jackson is filming a prequel - The Hobbit.
Can't wait.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

     I just learned that the Vatican has a new, multimedia website that looks great.  Check it out and earmark it at www.news.va/en

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

     Sixty years ago today Father Joseph Ratzinger was ordained a priest.  I hope we all know that he is now known as Pope Benedict XVI.  Congratulations, Holy Father!  If you can, say an extra prayer for him today.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

     Today is the great Feast of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, two outstanding leaders of the early church who provided a firm foundation upon which the church could build.  Peter was chosen to be shepherd and leader of the group, despite his shortcomings.  Paul was chosen to be the champion and voice of the early church despite his shortcomings.  Both gave their lives in service as well as literally for the sake of the Gospel.  Peter and Paul, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment