Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's an honor

     Yesterday as I was leaving the office and going out to lunch, I made a left onto Route 30 at the light and someone waiting at the light yelled "Hey, Father!"  I waved.  In the post on the Memorial Day parade, I had mentioned that many saw me riding in the parade and waved and said Hi.  By our position we have great recognizability.  By the gift of Orders we have been given that title.  By faithful service we are given great love.

     I am not someone hung up on titles.  I always say ... call me, whatever, just don't forget to call me for supper.  Responding to "Father Len" or "Padre" comes easily after 38 years, without even thinking.  But yesterday, with Fathers' Day at hand, the greeting at the intersection touched a cord.

     I am honored to be trusted with that title - Father.  I bear it as a servant of the Son of the Heavenly Father.  I am humbled that people of all ages and backgrounds - older than me and a lot smarter - see me as their spiritual father and friend.  I have no children of my own but I have a world that accepts me and welcomes me into their lives in that capacity.  How blest I am ... how blest we are who have been called by God and affirmed by his people to this role of love.

     To all of our Dad's, living and dead, on this Fathers' Day tomorrow, may you know our love and respect and find great blessing.  And to my Dad in Heaven, in particular, Janie and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment