Saturday, June 4, 2011

Steps to Holiness

     In these days leading to Pentecost, it would be good to reflect upon our spiritual journey.  In reading the May issue of the magazine "Inside the Vatican" (which I like a lot), I ran across  some thoughts given by Pope Benedict XVI on April 13th on the meaning of holiness and how we can achieve it.  He gives three simple rules for living a holy life.

     "Never let a Sunday go by without an encounter with the risen Christ in the Eucharist; this is not an added burden, it is light for the entire week."

     "Never begin or end a day without at least a brief contact with God" in prayer.

     "And along the pathway of our lives, follow the road signs that God has given us in the Ten Commandments, read in the light of Christ; they are nothing other than explanations of what love is in specific situations."

     He goes on to say "I must say that, personally, for my faith, many saints - not all of them - are true stars in the firmament of history.  But I also want to say that for me it is not just the great saints, whom I know well, who show me the path to follow, but the simple saints - the good people whom I have known in my life and who will never be canonized."

     Those thoughts speak to my heart.  I hope they touch yours as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Today is "Burger Bash Day" in Irwin, and I just got back.  What is "Burger Bash"?  A number of non profits in  the area hold these fund raisers, but very few reach the level of our neighboring parish of Immaculate Conception in downtown Irwin.  While it is officially called IC Burger Bash, everyone refers to it as Father John's burger bash - Father John being their pastor, Father John Moineau - a young and energetic guy who started the tradition.

     Once a month during the summer on a Saturday morning/early afternoon, many volunteers grill burgers and onions and sell then at $2.50 each.  Just the burger and bun, and onions if desired.  You can also purchase chips, soda etc "a la carte".  The burgers are really good, and the onions are even better.  All of this is done in the church parking lot, where tents are set up.  They cook and usually sell out nearly 3,500 burger each Bash.  This fund raiser is also a great community builder, bringing people from all over.  Last year at one of the events, I ran into our own bishop, Bishop Brandt, sharing in the experience.

     Our thanks and congratulations goes out to Father John and the people of IC.  ps. grilling the onions as usual was Father John, after having morning Mass and a funeral, and before a wedding this afternoon and an evening Mass.  Thank God he is young and energetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment