Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The importance of example

     The reading from Maccabees today of the scribe Eleazar reminded me of an experience I had years ago at All Saints in Masontown.  Directly across the street from All Saints is a Presbyterian Church of long standing.  One Sunday they were celebrating a major anniversary, and had invited me to come over.  I was not sure that I could with our Mass schedule, but it turned out that I could make an appearance.  The service had already begun, so I quietly entered and stood in the back (like a good Catholic).  David, their young pastor, noticed my presence and whispered it to the head of their Presbytery who was about to speak.  They interrupted the service, welcomed me publicly, invited me to sit in the chancel, and even to say a few words.  Needless to say, the fuss was embarrassing.  As the service continued, they shared holy communion.  As they offered it to me, I politely declined without a fuss, and they were okay with that.  Later they said they understood our discipline, and were impressed with my gentle decline.

     I mention it because I had more of my own people, then and even now as I retell the story, who cannot understand why I did not receive.  After the unusual explanations regarding belief in the Eucharist and its value as a sign of unity, they still cannot believe that I said no to the offer.  "You know the difference", they would say.  Can't you just receive it "as a sign of unity and as a symbol of Christ's presence"?  I tell them - YES ... but NO!  I would know the difference, and I would have no fear of God's wrath, but the example that I would give to someone who saw and did not appreciate my distinctions could be harmful and be misinterpreted.

     Eleazar was in the same boat.  Encouraged to "pretend" to eat the meat of the sacrifice prescribed by the king in contradiction to the Law of God, he would not.  He said that, for the sake of a brief moment of continued life, he would not want to lead astray those who may see and not understand.  He would rather his example be one of faithfulness to the covenant, despite the cost.

    Examples are very important.  Doing the right thing for the right reason is best.  Think about the examples that you give in the small as well as the momentous moments of life, and choose well.

++++++++++++++++++

     Within our Catholic tradition, the parents of a priest are held in high esteem.  The faith that they shared and the vocation that they encouraged or allowed to take root is noted.  Some say that the mother of a priest has a special place in heaven.

     I attended the funeral for the mother of one of our priests this morning at Saint Mary Parish in Freeport, Pennsylvania.  Pearl Klinzing is the 98 year old mother of Monsignor Thomas Klinzing, a priest of our diocese serving in the Diocese of Palm Beach, Florida.  Our bishop was at the Bishops' Meeting in Baltimore, but Monsignor Persico spoke on his behalf and that of the diocese and our priests (about fourteen of us were able to be present).  Father Tom and his family spoke of her strong faith and commanding personality, as well as her ability to feed the world.  May God grant her eternal rest at the heavenly banquet and peace and consolation to her family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment