Friday, November 25, 2011

Saying Good-bye

     We have been close for over thirty-eight years.  Almost every day we have spent time together, important time.  I would make my friend's words my own, and found myself inspired by them.  I have become comfortable enough that I could anticipate what was to be said next.  I have enjoyed the relationship.

     But this morning I said farewell to my old friend.  After spending our morning time of prayer together, I said thanks, on behalf of those gathered and in my own name, and carried my friend to retirement and history.  Of course I am speaking of the Sacramentary used at Mass for the prayers at the Altar.  This was the final Eucharistic Liturgy in our church before the new year begins Saturday evening, and with that First Sunday of Advent we begin using the new 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal.  We will welcome a new friend, and begin the process of getting to know her.

     Transition times are difficult.  All of our preparations have not taken away my apprehension and unease with the new translations, but I'm glad the time has arrived to finally begin the journey.  I will / we will make mistakes, lose our place, or instinctively revert back to the old phraseology, but we will survive (and prosper).  Welcome, friend!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

     I was home yesterday at the family place in Uniontown.  My sister Janie cooked a great dinner for the two of us, and even Sammy (the puppy) had a Thanksgiving treat.  We had the usual turkey(although in place of the whole bird, we had a turkey breast), dressing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, corn, salad, gravy, and pumpkin pie for desert (a friend and parishioner made the pie - and we are grateful!).  Janie is not only a great sister, she is also a good friend.  And the work that she put into dinner, after working (retail) until 10pm on Wednesday and going in at Midnight last night for the first of two shifts today, is outstanding.  She has my love and my thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment