Saturday, November 5, 2011

Something different

     Last evening I did something very out of the ordinary for me ... I attended a gathering at a local winery that featured a local band that I know.  The event was at the Greenhouse Winery in Rillton (near Irwin) and featured (besides the wines) a band called MIXX.  One of the members is Diana Mikash who serves in the music program at Saint Elizabeth Seton as well as Saint Agnes and Queen of Angels School.  It was an enjoyable evening.  Their selection of music is wide ranging, including many "oldies" that I remembered.  They are very good!

     I said that it was "out of the ordinary" because I usually don't go to such events.  I'm more of a quiet guy, plus I don't drink much, plus I'm getting old and find it difficult to converse amid the music and noise.  I saw some friends, met some new people, even bought a bottle of wine and drank some of it, and enjoyed myself.

     Earlier in the day I celebrated morning Mass, led the novena to the Sacred Heart (every First Friday), concelebrated the funeral of the mother of friends, had blood work done, finally had something to eat, was called upon to do a quick reflection for the Diocesan web page on this Sunday's Scriptures to be in before 3pm, added some comments to a piece on Saint Martin of Tours that I am working on with someone from the staff of our diocesan newspaper - The CATHOLIC ACCENT for publication soon, and did some office work.

     I was planning the lab work on Thursday, but with the twelve hour fasting necessary, and with a drop in by blood sugar readings during the night, I had to "break fast" - and not with breakfast.  I find it fascinating that I can go for long periods of time without eating with no problem ... unless I can't eat for some reason like fasting ... then I am famished.  It is the same way with Fridays - I don't crave meat until the meatless Friday fast of Lent.  Then I do.  It is one of the little quirks of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment