Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A new experience of priesthood

     This past Sunday, almost thirty-nine years to the hour since beginning my Mass of Thanksgiving (First Mass) at the old Saint Joseph in Uniontown (where now a drugstore and parking lot are located), I experienced a "first".  I was blessing about 125 motorcycles in the first annual "Blessing of Bikes" held at Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Church.  Thirty nine years ago I would never have imagined ...
    
     I have included a few pictures of the event.  Suffice it to say that the Lord gave us a gorgeous day to gather for this blessing.  I always speak of "journey", and these individuals - young and old and in between - are sojourners and adventurers, travellers and lovers of the open road.  They came on all manner of vehicles and they take great pride in their ride.  Those who attend these things said that our turnout was great for the first effort, and encouraged us to continue the tradition.

     They gathered from 1:30 on and we blessed the riders and their bikes around 2:45.  We had live entertainment with a group playing gospel music, food provided by our Men's Group, a door prize drawing of a gift from a local bike shop, a small souvenir card and Saint Christopher medal for those attending, and great fellowship.

    It was my "first", and I'm glad we moved in this direction.  As the one who shares God's blessing through my ministry, I again found myself truly blessed.





No comments:

Post a Comment