Monday, October 10, 2011

"Blowing off" the invite

     I get invitations all the time ... to dinners, baptisms, weddings, anniversaries, special occasions of all kinds.  I always appreciate being included in the event, but I don't always want to attend.  Especially as I get older and have less "get up and go", I tend to value my relaxing time even more, and sometimes decline the invitation.  Hopefully I do that graciously.

     On a rare occasion, though, I sometimes get tied up with something, or am just too tired, or sometimes just "blow it off" and don't show up when I said I would be there.  I usually feel guilty (and rightfully so).

     The last few days have presented us readings and examples of those who have "blown off" the most important invitation - the call to holiness rooted in Jesus Christ.  This morning we were presented as models of wisdom and good sense the queen of the South who sought out Solomon and the people of Nineveh who listened to Jonah.  Unlike those who should have known better and didn't, they responded with enthusiasm.

      Yesterday we met the wedding guests who "blew off" their chance to share in the banquet prepared for them.  Not just ignored the invite, but some even thumbed their nose at it.  They came, we are told, to a bad end, and others were invited to take their place.  Granted, we cannot always do everything that everyone wants of us ... but when the invitation is to the heavenly banquet prepared for us ... what is more important?

     COME TO THE FEAST, OF HEAVEN AND EARTH ... COME TO THE BANQUET OF PLENTY!

************************

     In reading one of my favorite blogs Whispers in the Loggia by Rocco Palmo this morning, I noticed that he has reached another milestone.  He began Whispers in 2004, and has reached page views of 20,073,631.  WOW!  And I thought my 6,674 was impressive.  Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment