Monday, October 3, 2011

An important observation

     I was wondering what to blog on today when I came across the blog of Sister Mary Ann Walsh, RSM, the Director of Media Relations of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.  Her post today is entitled: "Death Penalty: Political Sport at its Most Barbarous".  I highly recommend it to you at

http://usccbmedia.blogspot.com/2011/10/death-penalty-political-sport-at-its.html

     My dad was a policeman for many, many years.  He and I would often get into it regarding the death penalty - we had different approaches.  He would see the desire for the death penalty rather than the possibility of parole.  I would say lock them up and throw away the key (no parole).  We rarely agreed.

     Recently I have been extremely uncomfortable with, as Sister Mary Ann points out, the cheers for the death penalty at a recent presidential debate, the jubilant celebrations at the death (not capture and trial) of, yes, even Bin Laden, and most recently the grave questions regarding the evidence and testimony regarding the man executed in Georgia.  I am not comfortable in rejoicing over putting someone to death.  In this respect life month of October, Sister's reflection is a good one.  Check it out.  You may not agree, but at least think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment