Friday, October 28, 2011

Their message goes out

     On this feast of the Apostles Simon and Jude, the psalm response, commonly used for the apostles, is from Psalm 19 - "Their message goes out through all the earth."

     In this age of instant news, of inter net access, of constant communication, one would think that the psalm response would be more relevant today that ever before.  And yet, the message that goes out to all the world is all too often NOT the gospel message of Jesus Christ.  In fact, "the" message is often relegated to the insignificant or unimportant.  It is seen as personal piety rather than communal wisdom.  It becomes newsworthy only when seen or heard in the spectacular or scandalous moments of life.

     Yesterday I watched that national news and, although I may have missed it, did not see anything about the gathering in Assisi that I spoke of yesterday.  Leaders of the world religions and people of faith and people of good will gathered in support of truth and peace in the world in a gesture of unity.  They gathered as strangers and sojourners in the cause of peace and found themselves united in a common goal - to witness to their hearts' desire for the larger world.  Not newsworthy, though.

     The house that we live in was built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, held into place by Christ himself.  We form a sacred temple that is the dwelling place of God in the Spirit.  We must be untiring in our efforts to let the word go forth, to letting the message take root, that Jesus Christ is Lord - and only in the Prince of Peace will the reality of peace be found.  That is newsworthy!

+++++++++++++++++

     I was just reminded on Facebook by Linda Rohol, the secretary at All Saints in Masontown, that it was 25 years ago today, the Feast of Saint Jude, that I arrived in town to begin a wonderful five year pastorate.  At the time I joked that I was not sure whether the assignment was the "hopeless case" entrusted to Saint Jude ... or me.  I suspect that it was me!  And he came through, with the love and support of those good people in the parish and the town.  I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment