Friday, October 14, 2011

Recognizability

     My sister is visiting and we went out to eat this evening at a local establishment - an Eat and Park Restaurant.  I saw two people I knew as we entered the crowded restaurant, and when we were seated, we were placed next to very good friends from Greensburg - Mary Ann and Bill Newhouse and their son Sean (who I baptized 13 years ago).  It was a great reunion.  But in the same section were four other couples or families that I knew as well.  I felt popular ... but is was the recognizable factor coming into play.  A good meal, surrounded by good friends, makes for an enjoyable evening.

     This afternoon I met with our 8th graders of Queen of Angels school once again.  We spoke of heroes in our lives, people we admire, examples that inspire.  I mentioned that we, as Catholics, have a whole bunch of spiritual heroes that we call saints.  They come in all shapes and sizes, of all ages and from all generations.  We can look to them, admire them, be inspired by them and seek their help and intercession.  They are our "companions on the journey".  In fact, that is the title of a segment of our bulletin in which I highlight the saints of the week.  People like being reminded of these heroes.  I spoke of one group of these "companions", the North American Martyrs - Isaac Joques, John de Brebeuf and their companions.  Theirs is an interesting an inspiring story of courage in the new world in the mid 1600's.  As always, my session was enjoyable with the young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment