Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Is it worth the pain?

     How I long for things to be easy, for a change.  Why do things need to be so complicated?  Wouldn't it be great to breeze through life with blessing only?

     As one who struggles with weight and who is decidedly a couch potato, I have often been told that I need to invest in exercise and healthy eating.  But it is difficult.  I've also been reminded time and again that "no pain, no gain".  How true that is.  When I was going through therapy for my new knee, they worked me hard.  Just one more exercise ... another ten reps ... two more leg presses - how I dreaded those words.  But without that pushing, without that struggle, there would be reduced movement and no gain.

     Paul reminds us today in Romans (Romans 8:18 - 25) that the struggle and suffering of the present are nothing compared to the glory that will be revealed in us in Christ Jesus.  There is pain during childbirth, but the end result eases the memory of that pain.  There was great suffering and even death on the cross for Jesus, but the end result was freedom and eternal life for us.  The joy of Easter morning did not diminish the suffering of Good Friday, but it brought it into perspective and gave it redemptive value.

     Looking back, after the fact (or rather looking forward in hope), gives us another perspective on the suffering or pain that we confront.  Our primary example and guide is found in the love of Paul's life - Jesus, the Christ.  May he be the love of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment