Thursday, March 20, 2014

Saying "Thank You"

     In his tweet today, our Holy Father, Pope Francis, who today was named by Fortune Magazine as their top "World's Greatest Leader" for 2014, said

"May we learn to say 'thank you' to God
and to one another. 
We teach our children to do it,
and then we forget to do it
ourselves."
 
     Good words of reminder.  I always try to say thank you at nearly every occasion, even thanking the people for joining me in the greatest act of thanksgiving which is the Mass (I take nothing for granite).  Saying thanks, though, is not a lost art - thank God.  Even while typing this post I just received a call from a friend and one of our retired guys thanking me for some mass intentions that I had forwarded to him.

     One of the blogs that I regularly check out is one called "For His Friends" written by Bishop Robert Lynch of the Diocese of St. Petersburg, Florida (http://bishopsblog.dosp.org).  In his post yesterday on the feast of Saint Joseph, he was speaking about our Apostolic Nuncio to the U.S. and a talk that he gave recently on the Holy Father.  He mentions one of my other favorite blogs - "Whispers in the Loggia"  (www.whispersintheloggia.com) and its author, Rocco Palmo, who had posted a video of the Nuncio's talk that spoke to the bishop's heart.  He expressed "Thanks to the mother of all ecclesial blogs" and to Rocco for his outstanding service to the Church.

     I, too, echo that word of thanks to Rocco, who has been about this ministry (for it is a ministry) for nearly ten years now.  Rocco hails from Philadelphia (the other side of the Commonwealth) and has been a correspondent, having earned a degree from the University of Pennsylvania and an honorary Doctorate from the Aquinas Institute of Theology in St. Louis.  In 2011 he co-chaired the first Vatican conference on social media at the Vatican, and has become a "must read" for many of us who love the Church.  A few weeks ago I received an email note and a letter from Rocco to those who support his work.  Since this is his work, and not a sideline like it is for me, I try to show my support however I can.

     Rocco's numbers are astounding: posting for ten years with 31,360,910 pageviews as of today - about 1,400 a day.  But what is most astounding is his love of the Church, his contacts and inside info into the workings of the Church, and his positive attitude and challenging insights into her workings.  So, along with Bishop Lynch and so many others, and in the spirit of Pope Francis' tweet, I say THANK YOU to Rocco for Whispers.
 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment