Monday, March 17, 2014

With Gratitude

     Last week I received a nice letter from Sister Catherine Meinert, SC, the President and Provincial Superior of the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill in Greensburg.  Sister Catherine and I have known each other for many years, and my association with the Sisters of Charity goes back to my first assignment at IC in Irwin.  In the letter, Sister thanked me for my association with the Sisters and my support of their work and welcomed me as a member of the Sisters of Charity Circle of Charity, and presented me with a lapel pin which designates my special bond with the congregation.  Another good friend, Sister Barbara Einloth jotted a note "Welcome to the Circle of Charity, Father Len.  It is a real blessing that you continue your friendship with and support of our life and ministry."

     I mention this here in acknowledgement of the good work done by the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill, especially in light of the just completed First National Catholic Sisters Week (March 8 - 14) which finds its expression in Women's History Month.  Check out the Sister's web site at www.scsh.org.

     One thing on their web site that I found interesting was a feature showcasing many of the outstanding contributions of their Sisters over the years.  For example, in the area of early radio and TV, Sister Rosalie O'Hara was a national coordinator of the Catholic Broadcasters Association and established the first school of radio & TV for teenagers in the world ...Sister Florence Marie Schott was a longtime teacher and researcher who was elected to the Sigma XI, the National Honorary Society for scientists, and who spend her summers at the Woods Hole Institute doing cancer research ... Sister Paul Gabriel Wilhere who developed a program in gerontological nursing and was a charter member of the American Association of Homes for the Aged ... Sister M. Eugene O'Donnell who taught school in PA and Arizona for 35 years, served as a DRE and was involved in retreat work ... and Sister Mary Francis Irvin (who I knew well) who was a teacher and artist at the college for thirty-two years and who designed the windows in Caritas Christi Chapel at the Motherhouse, as well as vestments (I have a number of stoles that she crafted) and other art.  This is just a sampling of what is found on their web site ... which is just a small hint at the tremendous service given over the years by these daughters of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.  I am honored to be associated with these good women of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment