Thursday, May 5, 2011

38 years ago

     At ten o'clock the bells of Blessed Sacrament Cathedral in Greensburg began to peal as the procession began.  Thus began an ordination ceremony that saw four men ordained to the priesthood for service in the Diocese of Greensburg.  They were V. Paul Fitzmaurice, Peter L. Peretti, Roger Statnick and yours truly.  Bishop William G. Connare was the ordaining bishop.


     That was at ten o'clock on May 4th, 1973.  Thus began a journey that continues for the four of us as priests of this diocese. 

     My journey brought me to Irwin a short time later to serve as an Assistant at Immaculate Conception with Msgr. Augustine Marzhauser as pastor and Father Jim Gaston as the other Associate.  In my second year there, Father Leonard Sanesi took over as pastor.  At the time the largest parish in the diocese with 3,100 families, it was a good starting point.

     After two years I moved to Saint Sebastian in Belle Vernon (Msgr. Statnick is pastor there now) to serve with Father Ed Gearing.  A parish of about 1,200, these good people took me in as we ministered to the Mon Valley.

     Three years later I travelled to Saint John the Baptist in Scottdale, where I had served for a summer as a Deacon.  This time I was with Father William Gavron.  I learned much about priesthood in the next six years, and renewed and made many great friends.  It was a challenging time for me, but one of growth.

     But now, after twelve years and with seniority calling, upon the death of Father Tom Kalasky, I became the pastor of Saint John the Evangelist Church in Connellsville.  A first pastorate can be and was a first love, and the good things accomplished in that small parish of about 300 families still dwell in my memory.

     After a short two and a half years, Father Andrew Charnoki and I exchanged parishes, and I travelled to All Saints in Masontown and its mission of Saint Francis de Sales in McClellandtown.  The small town experience was great, and with the hard work of so many of the approximately 650 families, tremendous changes took place.  After five years there, the over 700 people at the farewell prepared by the parish spoke volumes as to the love shown me by the people of Masontown.

     Then off to the Church of Saint Paul in Greensburg, a parish that had gone through some turmoil before my arrival, but one that gradually embraced my ministry and taught me much.  A parish of about 1,500 families, our liturgies and music were, and still are, outstanding.  I served there with Father Stephen West and Mike Ripple, and for awhile Father Dan Blout was in residence.  Great school changes came about during that time, including the establishment of Aquinas Academy, the regional Catholic School in Greensburg.

     After eight and a half years I returned to Saint John the Baptist in Scottdale (my third time).  It was literally like coming home.  The next eight and a half years serving this parish of about 950 families was a blessing.  In three assignments over 36 years, I was not only marrying the kids I had baptized, but baptizing their children.  Strong ties were established.  Leaving was difficult.

    But now I have been at Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish for two and a half years, and it is home to me.  The acceptance that our families have given me, my sister Janie and her puppy Sammy, is wonderful and truly a blessing.

     Each of these assignments holds stories that need to be told, but there is not enough room here.  Suffice it to say that that morning 38 years ago began an adventure that continues with and in the grace of God.  Pray for the four of us and pray for all priests.  And finally, to maybe bring a smile to your face, a very young, beardless, in need of a haircut, ordination picture of yours truly.


No comments:

Post a Comment