Sunday, May 22, 2011

A vocation story

     Recently I spoke with a parent who expressed concern and embarrassment over the expressed desire of their seven year old.  It seems that she, at that tender age, said that someday she wanted to be a nun, a sister.  The parent, while proud of her, was concerned that she might be made fun of or ridiculed ... and at the same time was embarrassed that they felt that way.  A Religious vocation is a wonderful calling, and at whatever age should be presented as the blessed opportunity that it could be.  But this young lady has a long way before the Lord's Call becomes clear.  I told the parent to be supportive and to love their child.

     The vocation story that I would like to tell, though, is mine (abbreviated version).  My earliest recollection of wanting to become a priest is around kindergarten.  Like many kids of my generation, I played priest.  I am reminded that I often shared the Rite of Sprinkling in my Grandma's back yard (central walk, blanket as cope, clothes pin as sprinkler).  I was inspired by the priests at our parish of Saint Joseph in Uniontown, especially Father Charles Kobylarz, our pastor, and a series of good priests who served as Assistants, including for many of those years Father (later Bishop) Norbert Gaughan.  My religious upbringing was not overly pious, but was rooted in strong Faith.  My folks never pushed, but were always supportive.  The Sisters in school always encouraged vocations [and I must admit, they took a special interest if they thought you were going to the seminary].  And many from our parish went to seminary.

     As I said in a previous post, I went to the Minor Seminary after the 8th grade, entering Saint Vincent Prep School in Latrobe at the age of 13.  We were the first class of all priesthood students (prior to that it was a regular Prep school).  There were 21 in our class studying for the Diocese of Greensburg, with the rest of the class studying for the Benedictine Order.  More on those years at another time.

     My vocation story began more than fifty years ago.  The important point today is that I was inspired, encouraged, supported, loved and respected at every step along the way.  My folks never pushed, always respected my decisions and needs, and loved me.  And I know they were very proud.  My sister, Janie, continues to do the same.  The Call is from God, echoed by the Church, strengthened by the Spirit, and sustained by the People of God.

     As we hear in the Scriptures this Sunday, to whatever vocation we embrace, we are all called to be "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that we may announce his praises".  This is our baptismal Call.  I just shared that same Baptismal Call with a little one - Olivia Arlena Petroy.  Say a prayer for her and her parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment