Friday, May 13, 2011

Where were you?

     I'm just getting in under the wire for Friday, May 13th.  The server was down for about thirty some hours, and then I got side tracked, but here it is.

     Today (May 13th) is the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima, recalling the apparition of the Blessed Virgin to the three children in Fatima, Portugal, in 1917.  Those apparitions when the world was on the brink of a world war placed the Church at the forefront of a powerful influence of prayer and trust in the mercy and providence of God.

     Thirty years ago on this date, in 1981, Pope John Paul II was shot in Saint Peter's Square on his way to the weekly audience.  It was another of those terrible days when you ask yourself - Where was I and what was I doing?   For me, I was in Philadelphia attending the meeting of the diocesan liaisons to the Catholic Charismatic Renewal.  I was the local liaison at the time.  We were shocked ... and we prayed for the Holy Father.  That was the night for our tour of the town and night out, but we gladly stayed at the retreat house and remained in prayer.  It will be a day that I remember well.

     Where were you ... and what were you doing?  A short post today and back to the regular posting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment