Saturday, May 14, 2011

Second Round Draft Pick

     Did you ever have the experience of being passed over in a selection process, only to be chosen later to fill a vacancy?  In high school I, because of my vast athletic prowess (my tongue is very much in my cheek), would often be passed over when the intramural team captains were choosing their players.  Only later in the selection process was I tapped.  Oh, there were those rare occasions when someone might feel sorry for me and place me on their team.  The only small football trophy that I possess was because I ended up on the team of the super athlete of the school.  Despite me, we won.

     Matthias was one of the disciples of Jesus who had been there from the beginning, had witness the death and resurrection of Jesus, sat at his feet listening and learning, and being filled with the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.  Yet, when The Twelve were chosen, he was passed over.  I'm sure it had nothing to do with who he was.  The Twelve were chosen to be the shepherds, to be the foundation of the Church.  Like the twelve tribes of old, they spoke of completion, of firmness, of stability.  They were not better than the others, but they were chosen to be the leaders.

     But then came Judas and the confusion of his heart and his betrayal of the Master.  It left an incompleteness that needed to be filled, a weakening of the stability that the Church required.  He needed to be replaced.  So they selected two, prayed, then cast lots.  And Matthias was chosen in that "second round draft".  I wonder if he ever had the thought: "I wasn't good enough the last time, why now?"  Probably not, because it was the Spirit who chose, and it was based on anointing rather than voting.  Matthias, whose feast is today (May 14th) filled the gap with courage and conviction, witness and faith.  He is celebrated.

     So, if you are ever second choice, or third, or whatever ... remember Matthias, and embrace him as your patron.  But remember whose shoes he was called to fill - Judas.  I doubt if you would be called to follow a traitor.  Matthias did, and transformed the stigma by faithfully taking his place among The Twelve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Tonight I attended the wedding reception of a friend.  At the beginning, my friend spoke to his daughter in what was a great homily.  Not only did he speak of love and commitment in the newlyweds journey of a lifetime, he reminded them of WHO walks with them and how important HE is to them.  They were good words of faith and love.  Thanks Dave ... and congratulation Maria Kent and John William Burwinkel, III., blessed in the Sacrament of Marriage this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment